[OpenIndiana-discuss] Screen locking with XScreenSaver disabled

Harry Putnam hput3 at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 18 06:40:24 UTC 2024

On Mon, Jan 15, 2024, at 12:35, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 1/14/24 15:17, hput wrote:
>> Till Wegmueller <toasterson at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Check all other system settings if you have another Screensaver. Mate
>>> has it's own AFAIK.
>>
>> The thing is, as you see in the small image of what I see on screen:
>>

>> It is the very Xscreensaver installed in my OS:
>>   pkg list |grep xscreen
>>   desktop/xscreensaver    6.8-2023.0.0.0        i--
>>
>> And is disabled in gui:
>
> "Disable Screen Saver" as shown in that gui only disables the display of
> animations when the screen is idle, locking is a separate preference/setting.
>
> --
>          -Alan Coopersmith-                 alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
>           Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris

First, thanks to all for replies.
Before I saw Alan's, and Till's replies I decided to try "pkg uninstall desktop/xscreensaver"
.
I'd not done so, thinking it might cause some kind of unforeseen problems.  But it seemed to go off
without problems.  Followed with reboot, and when it came back up all seems ok.

I left it long enough for locking to occur but it did not, so maybe it worked without problems
(fingers crossed)