[OpenIndiana-discuss] Lenovo p1 Gen 6 intel i7

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Sat Jan 20 12:32:21 UTC 2024

On 1/20/24 13:20, Matthew R. Trower wrote:
> I don’t suppose you have the capability to boot via cdrom?  I’ve had similar sorts of trouble booting from USB images on some machines.
>
> -- Matthew R. Trower
>
>> On Jan 20, 2024, at 03:32, open <openbabel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Lenovo P1 Gen 6 intel core i7. I am currently running Kubuntu on this laptop and have tried running a live oi image. This seems to load upto 'console login fails to star't with no other error messages.
>>
>> I have used both ISA and USB latest image on a USB3 formatted and loaded on linux. I have also tested this on a lenovo p1 gen 1 i5 that also halts at console login.
>>
>> Both Bios have secure boot not enabled and wondered if anyone has any ideas of progressing the boot process ?
>>
>> Thank you in anticipation.
>>

>> Rob Jones

Hello!

USB-3 is still not to be considered rock-solid, there are some
circumstances in which there are problems.

If you have USB-2-only hardware on the host there are no problems.

Maybe you have a usb-2 port on the docking station or an older USB-hub
that may work(?)

But wait, i have booted my laptop the day before yesterday with the
2023-10 usb image to repair my rpool, that worked flawlessly.., its a
DELL precision 7720 USB-3 port

Maybe you can switch between legacy and UEFI boot ??

Regards,

Stephan