[OpenIndiana-discuss] mariadb secure installation script infinite loop

Bill Sommerfeld sommerfeld at hamachi.org
Wed Jan 24 00:51:38 UTC 2024

On 1/23/24 16:36, Christopher D. Bartels wrote:
> EDIT:
>
> This is what gives me the error, sorry for omitting it previously:
>
>> ALTER USER 'root'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED WITH mysql_native_password BY
>> 'Password';

You probably want to take a look at https://mariadb.com/kb/en/alter-user/
which suggests:

CREATE USER 'bob'@'localhost'
   IDENTIFIED VIA mysql_native_password USING PASSWORD('pwd')
   OR unix_socket;

and

ALTER USER 'bob'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED VIA mysql_native_password
   USING PASSWORD('pwd2');

There are a bunch of variant syntaxes for when you're supplying the password hash instead of the plaintext password.

As an aside, I've found "IDENTIFIED VIA unix_socket" to be the way to go for local access when the client is on the same machine as the database.