[OpenIndiana-discuss] no force write by root user?

Rolf M. Dietze rmd at orbit.in-berlin.de
Sun Mar 10 15:16:27 UTC 2024

Quoting Tim Mooney via openindiana-discuss
<openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>:

> In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] no force write by root user?, Rolf M....:
>
>> if the root user wants to write back a file not writable as set by
>> permissions a force write back (wq! in vi) does not work. Is that
>> behavior intended? Other OSes as for instance oracle solaris, FreeBSD,
>> Solaris 10 and so, allow a force write back
>
> That's not my experience on OI with vim.
>
> Are you sure it's not something like NFS or something else causing that?

this behavior surprided me upon editing /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources. I wanted
to have a localized xdm login logo.

retried the behavior as follows:
touch textfile
chmod 444 textfile
vi textfile

doing a :wq! I get:

E504: "noway" is read-only (cannot override: "W" in 'cpoptions')
Press ENTER or type command to continue

what does "W" in 'cpoptions' mean? Is that a setup probem with
my shell? (zsh, same .zshrc as on FreeBSD and Oracle Solaris)
with modified PATH setup...

/rmd