[OpenIndiana-discuss] meld tool/utility is broken

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Mon Sep 14 21:06:28 UTC 2026


In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] meld tool/utility is broken, Alan...:

>> Both meld's web site and meld's gitlab page says it only requires Python
>> 3.4.7 or later, but that "type | None" syntax is apparently a Python 3.10+
>> thing.
>
> Where do you see 3.4.7?

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/meld/-/wikis/Building%20binaries

But you found better information that I hadn't seen.  I think I
clicked the 'wiki' link first, so that was the first place I saw it
mention any version requirement.

I like that gitlab is an alternative to github, but as a very infrequent
user I find it fairly confusing to navigate.

Thanks for the corrections:

> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/meld lists Python 3.10 under Requirements,
> and https://meldmerge.org/ says 3.6 (which is admittedly wrong).
>
> Meld's bug tracker says it uses this syntax because it expects Python 3.10
> or later:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/meld/-/work_items/921

Tim
-- 
Tim Mooney                                             Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)
North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58105-5164



More information about the openindiana-discuss mailing list