[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problem with Firefox 156.0.1
Udo Grabowski (IMKASF)
udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Wed Sep 30 14:41:27 UTC 2026
On 30-09-2026 15:52, russell via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Upgraded my desktop to latest OI build in a new BE on saturday.
> I have noticed that if I leave Firefox open all day I will start to
> experience issues with the GUI, applications will not close correctly,
> opening a text file might result in a window being created but the text
> is not displayed only a portion of the desktop background.
> The problems only appear after Firefox has been running for several
> hours, if reboot is possible via the GUI I will do that but if not then
> the power button has to be used.
> Is anyone else seeing the problem?
These are almost always problems caused by memory shortage, as modern
firefoxes are eating away all your RAM and more (I've seen instances
of 26 GB!), see about:memory . You can lower RAM usage by modifying
in about:config
dom.ipc.processCount.webIsolated (workers per domain, maybe 1 or 2)
and dom.workers.maxPerDomain (<=10), and switch off caches:
browser.cache.memory.enable false
browser.cache.offline.enable false
I got down to a few GB resident memory, see top (and then type M).
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski Inst.of Meteorology & Climate Research IMKASF-SAT
https://www.imkasf.kit.edu/english/sat.php
KIT - Karlsruhe Institute of Technology https://www.kit.edu
Postfach 3640,76021 Karlsruhe,Germany T:(+49)721 608-26026 F:-926026
More information about the openindiana-discuss
mailing list