[oi-dev] oi-dev Digest, Vol 7, Issue 6

Butch Whitby jwhitby3 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 15:34:47 UTC 2011

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 11:35:58 +0000
> From: Andrzej Szeszo <aszeszo at gmail.com>
> Subject: [oi-dev] Distribution build system
>
> Hi All
>
> The project is moving forward very slowly. I my opinion one of the main
> reasons behind it is lack of unified distribution build system.
>
> Previous releases were put together manually. Probably one or two core
> contributors would be be able to repeat the whole process at this point
> without investing significant amount of time into learning how things
> fit together. We need distribution release and publishing process to be
> automated and repeatable.

<snip>

I've been following the list for a while now, and have kept quiet
partially due to time constraints, but mostly because I think I'm
going to be most helpful in the documentation arena but I have a
couple of questions about this.

Please overlook my ignorance on this topic I'm an admin not a
programmer and have zero experience with continuous build systems.   I
have limited understanding of how they actually work,  and haven't had
the time to really dig into the topic.  It seems there are a lot of
"auto builders" available already.  At a cursory glance I can see it's
a far cry from a simple setup but would definitely be worth doing
right.  Am I misunderstanding or are you proposing to use a continuous
integration system for this? Would something like Hudson be viable?

Or are you talking about developing a framework that could be provided
in a packaged form for download to a developers system?  Or even a
combination of both?

I'll help in any way I can.

--
Butch Whitby

"Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but there is
always time to do it again?"