[oi-dev] Artwork?

Shawn Thompson superfox436 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 04:21:38 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 3:21 AM, Alasdair Lumsden <alasdairrr at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 29/03/2011 09:17, BM wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Guido Berhoerster<gber at openindiana.org>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>> Artwork-wise we could use some improvements, the current OI logo
>>> does not work well with dark backgrounds or in smaller sizes
>>> (e.g. favicons or the GNOME main menu icon are really unusable).
>>>

>> BTW, I told that many times ago. If only would somebody care... No,
>> nobody.
>>

> OI requires professional artwork, a great look and feel, and most
> importantly, a solid brand.
>
> The website that you constructed entirely without consultation and put
> forward was not  appropriate for what OI represents; while we appreciated
> the hard work you went to, you cannot take unilateral action. Leave that to
> America.
>
> If someone qualified comes along to take the lead on branding and can put
> forward a coherent plan of action, solicit community feedback, then
> diplomatically execute that plan by managing others as part of a group,
> trust me, people will care, and people will listen.

Well, of course we're only just starting out, so having a temporary artwork
set/web design/etc was expected. But soon, we should really get an act
together. I'm going to try and start up a process for deliberating on
artwork, in a process influenced by how the LibreOffice guys handled this
process. Confluence looks like it's quite advanced and/or fancy, so this may
be easy to manage.We would most likely be starting off with a general motif
for everything, then eventually building stuff that fits off this motif in
an integrated and sensible manner.  I also do have some motif ideas that
I'll contribute too.