[oi-dev] 1576 update irssi package

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 22:47:44 UTC 2011

On 3 Oct 2011, at 23:48, Bayard G. Bell wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-10-03 at 20:53 +0200, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
>
>> In general, if you move packages from another consolidation into
>> oi-build please at least check the original package.
>
> Right problem defined at the wrong level: we don't want participation in
> porting to gate on checking all the legacy build systems, so what we
> really need to do is provide a directory of existing packages and where
> they're maintained so that new contributors need learn as little as
> possible about their plumbing. I think DeanoC might have been working on
> such a directory, and I had this information worked into the CVE audit
> reports from a few months back.

I agree with Bayard, the original committer shouldn't have to do lots of super-hard work here.

We can advise them to double check the legacy consolidation so their changeset is more likely to be approved, but it shouldn't be a barrier to participation. Ultimately a broken conversion offered up for review is going to get further than one that doesn't make it to the list because the author couldn't be bothered to do his homework.

But it is definitely worth mentioning that packages moving to oi-build should be checked against the original.

Alasdair