[oi-dev] is there a vector for donating to OI?

Deirdre Straughan deirdre.straughan at joyent.com
Fri Sep 7 20:28:20 UTC 2012

The exact percentage of any earmarked funds to be withheld for a general
fund should be discussed by the illumos Foundation board, probably after
the board is expanded sometime in the near-ish future. There's no agreed
guideline on this at present.

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 2:14 AM, Jonathan Adams <t12nslookup at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 7 September 2012 06:01,  <garrett.damore at dey-sys.com> wrote:
> > I have no problem with illumos handling earmarking.  In the future, I'll
> > want to take a percentage of such donations for illumos general use, but
> > expect it to be reasonable -- perhaps 20% or 25% - and that seems not
> > inappropriate given that OI uses illumos as its base anyway.
>
> I am not sure about the 20% mark ... it seems high to me since OI
> projects could and should support the community outside of OI.
>
> I understand that for small donations this might _seem_ reasonable,
> and that while there is little or no governance of OI it is hard to
> see how this funding is spent in a sensible manner, but 20% is a large
> slice of any cake.
>
> I know I've already said my peace and am happy for the Illumos
> Foundation to take and earmark the funds (it seems by far the sanest
> option IMHO) and I could see a 10-15% cut straight to Illumos, I would
> prefer not to see it any higher than that.
>
> I would expect any projects, that OI specifically gets involved in,
> that affect the Illumos kernel, will benefit Illumos directly and
> because of this the OI ring-fenced funding will benefit Illumos too,
> but indirectly.
>
> > As far as deciding how it gets spent outside of the earmark - I think
> the OI
> > community will still need to appoint someone or a small body of people,
> > determine the further allocation of the earmark.  That sounds like
> > governance to me -- even if not much.
> +1
>
> my first preference, as I've said, would be bounties, although as was
> suggested some contribution towards transport funds for specific OI
> dev's to Illumos events might help the bitterness in the community.
>
> Jon

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan
Community Architect, SmartOS