[oi-dev] [OpenIndiana-discuss] Studio future in OI (Re: )

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 06:06:11 UTC 2013

On 10/11/13 11:38 AM, Laurent Blume wrote:
> On 11/10/13 09:39, Nikola M. wrote:
>> Does this means that Sun Studio / Oracle studio will not be able to run
>> on Openindiana after this change?
>> So it is intentional breaking compatibiliy with Studio or including all
>> software compiled with Studio?
>>
>> Are you willing to have distribution that does not have Firefox ported
>> for it?
>
> That's not related. Firefox might use C++, but its needed dependencies
> are all C, IIRC. So it can be built with either compiler.
Yes, but Firefox etc. patches, exist only for Studio.
Future versions of Firefox/Thunderbird need C++ and GCC is considered as
alternative, but not yet.
We surely need more then one compiler working.

I also don't want *anytime* to be left with an update of Hipster that
just break all everyday apps. (Plus all old apps binary compatibility)
It must be considered with the rest of the apps and people that are
using it.
People are willing to use Hipster in everyday installations if it does
not break horribly without announcement.

I think that all of the sudden breaking binary compatibility with ALL
apps that are not fresh-compiled IS that one of big breakages that
should on itself provide clear workarounds in practice for existing apps.

"Just drop changes and hope for the best" type of release management it
a bit of insane.
We NEED some type of preparation, announcements, how-to's and another
supporting package update projects, that could support user's needs to
keep using what they are using till now, undisturbed.
(like having branded zone for binary compatibility or something, that
could open windows on X)

> <snip>
>> I would not like to loose ability to run Studio on Openindiana or studio
>> compiled programs.
>> Maybe it became second option now but hey, it seems very strange to lost
>> support for such a compiler even if it is closed source.
>
> Studio itself has now introduced a G++ ABI compatibility switch. So
> having G++-built libs in /usr/lib should not be the issue it once was.
> http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24457_01/html/E21991/bkana.html#bkanr
There are also many questions:

Will Openindiana have stable ABI or are we sliding to Linux-type problems,
that we need to recompile applications/binaries to work on newer kernel
and system?

Some people are clearly stating that if their old binaries does not
work, or at most, if Studio can't be installed or used on Openindiana,
they are better elsewhere.

What would happen really with ABI stability? Does OI strive to have
stable ABI?

Shell we have at least a _branded zone_ that includes set of libraries
that could run any existing app up till now?

How many applications will break with this? All of them except newly
compiled ones?
Old Adobe reader (only one we have from Adobe), flash player, RealPlayer
and who know how many more that are unknown to me and running on Solaris
10 and in the meantime on Opensolaris?
Will Virtualbox then work on Openindiana? Etc, etc.

This is many questions, and breakers, but people need to explain in
detail consequences of proposals,
like "if we are ready to rip Studio support".