[oi-dev] Studio/GCC c++ libraries and OI future :)

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Mon Oct 14 12:35:03 UTC 2013

On 14/10/2013 14:23, Nikola M. wrote:
> Just we need to understand, that it is actuall kiss-goodbye to any
> binary compatibility of applications for Solaris and OI in the future.

Again, killing binary copmpatibility with commmerial software
IS the fastest way to kill OI and Illumos ...

Even on Linux, commercial software can be run flawlessly across
distros, so why would anyone intentionally kill binary compatibility
on Illumos/OI ? There's no purpose for that, and I believe that most
of this discussion stems from the fact that it is just ASSUMED that
a change to gcc kills binary compatiblity (or MUST kill it), but
no one has a proof for that. It is quite certain that it will do harm
to C++ libraries, but the Studio versions could be put aside into an
extra package, that would be a hurdle, but not a killer for Studio
applications.
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski    Inst.f.Meteorology a.Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php