[oi-dev] Studio/GCC c++ libraries and OI future :)

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 12:49:53 UTC 2013

On 10/14/13 02:35 PM, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> On 14/10/2013 14:23, Nikola M. wrote:
>> Just we need to understand, that it is actuall kiss-goodbye to any
>> binary compatibility of applications for Solaris and OI in the future.
>>
> Again, killing binary copmpatibility with commmerial software
> IS the fastest way to kill OI and Illumos ...
I understand and support your case.

What do you think about that idea/project of providing zone brand
that could freeze state of libraries of OI, up to /dev version a7 or so,
if that works for you
(there is also s10 brand as I know)
and make that the long-term solution for supporting all Solaris
applications till now.

Would you be interested to learn, contribute and work on it maybe?
(That way, support can not possibly ever go away, if you are one of
those that are controlling it and contributing to it)

Workarounds and separate installs could also maybe work (and as you say,
MANY apps for Solaris, where most of them we maybe even don't know they
exist, must be tested for compatibility), but would maybe need more
maintaining, and maybe slow down OI's ascend to a new level of stability
as a bese for further advancements?