[oi-dev] Studio/GCC c++ libraries and OI future :)

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Mon Oct 14 13:19:07 UTC 2013

On 14/10/2013 14:49, Nikola M. wrote:
> On 10/14/13 02:35 PM, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
>> On 14/10/2013 14:23, Nikola M. wrote:
>>> Just we need to understand, that it is actuall kiss-goodbye to any
>>> binary compatibility of applications for Solaris and OI in the future.
>>>
>> Again, killing binary copmpatibility with commmerial software
>> IS the fastest way to kill OI and Illumos ...
> I understand and support your case.
>
> What do you think about that idea/project of providing zone brand
> that could freeze state of libraries of OI, up to /dev version a7 or so,

No, I don't see how a zone should help here, for enterprise locations
like ours where commercial software is an integral part of the
production chain this makes no sense, this is a view of a few
home nas server people who have not used Solaris as their main OS
before in their business.

Before doing ANYTHING in preparation to break compatibilty, there
should be a proof that this actually has to happen, and I don't see
this now (the Flash case is some other bug, as far as I understand
it). First, all efforts should be made to keep compatibilty in the
main line while switching, and setting a LD_LIBRARY_PATH is OK if
necessary.

I checked our main commercial application (Exelis IDL), and it
depends C libraries only, so presumably switching to gcc should
not break it, and if so, it's a bug.

MongoDB also has a problem on a7 with delivered libstdc++ and
libgcc_s (but runs with another build of these libs from OpenCSW),
but that problem vanished on a8.

Of course, there's a lot other software out there (esp. backup
software, RAID managers etc.), as most of the OI/Illumos base
are enterprise users who left Oracle alone, so there should be
a check for this on the openindiana-discuss list and a thorough
testing with a a9 or a10 before doing a release (and I mean /release)
which could break things.
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski    Inst.f.Meteorology a.Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php