[oi-dev] Studio/GCC c++ libraries and OI future :)

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 14:05:24 UTC 2013

On 10/14/13 03:19 PM, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> No, I don't see how a zone should help here, for enterprise locations
> like ours where commercial software is an integral part of the
> production chain this makes no sense, this is a view of a few
> home nas server people who have not used Solaris as their main OS
> before in their business.
Thank you for your insights.
Please provide more in the future, they are really needed to understand
needs of really big users that could make difference in OI's future.

My understanding from exactly my small/Nas perspective was that branded
zones are the solution of keeping intact environment for applications,
separate from what is new in a global zone and what lands there.
But you surely knows better, because your needs are bigger.

> but that problem vanished on a8.
Thanks.
> Of course, there's a lot other software out there (esp. backup
> software, RAID managers etc.), as most of the OI/Illumos base
> are enterprise users who left Oracle alone, so there should be
> a check for this on the openindiana-discuss list and a thorough
> testing with a a9 or a10 before doing a release (and I mean /release)
> which could break things.
Yes, It should be discussed with wider audiance (maybe you could start
discussion on that topics)
  and to include them more closely to the project/OI if they are not
already there,
to see how many organizations are there and what are their present and
future needs.

Organizing them in some way of more closely connect to OI as illumos
distribution might be good way of recognising new paths for OI
and I am verry happy you mentioned need for /release and I hope you
recognize your clearly open ability to participate in a project.