[oi-dev] Git or Mercurial?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Mar 28 16:41:49 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-14 16:26, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> You're pretty much right on all of that - github.com/illumos/illumos-gate is the main source for illumos.
>
> Some OI stuff has made its way onto https://github.com/openindiana
>
> However much of the legacy OI stuff is still on http://hg.openindiana.org
>
> illumos-gate build instructions should reference the github one. OI stuff relating to /hipster should reference github, whilst the /dev stuff probably still the old hg stuff.

First of all, I think I forgot to thank Alasdair for the answer.

Also, in "How to Build Illumos" page
   http://wiki.illumos.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=1146919
there are links to the following Mercurial repos, which I think
are ALL OBSOLETE:

* http://hg.openindiana.org/illumos-gate:
   https://hg.openindiana.org/upstream/illumos/illumos-gate
   History reported in a strange manner, but apparently the
   last changes are: 14187 dated 2013-09-06 and (probably a
   "transplanted" older fix?) number 14188 dated 2013-03-04

* https://bitbucket.org/illumos/illumos-gate:
   last change d07a592 at 2013-07-10
   https://bitbucket.org/illumos/illumos-gate/commits/all

* ssh://anonhg@hg.illumos.org/illumos-gate:
   last change 14068 at 2013-06-24

build at gcczone:/code/illumos-gate-golden$ hg update
0 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved

build at gcczone:/code/illumos-gate-golden$ hg heads
changeset:   14068:2547a41b1162
tag:         tip
user:        Marcel Telka <Marcel.Telka at nexenta.com>
date:        Mon Jun 24 09:23:31 2013 +0200
summary:     3814 Support for SATA III Reviewed by: Johann 'Myrkraverk'
Oskarsson <johann at myrkraverk.com> Reviewed by: Richard Lowe
<richlowe at richlowe.net> Reviewed by: Garrett D'Amore <garrett at damore.org>

Does any of those have a cronjob to sync from the current (github)
upstream head branch into the respective Mercurial repo clone?

For example, the Git head is recent:
* https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate.git leads to
   https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate
   latest commit 20 hours ago

And the OI fork I am not so sure about:
* https://github.com/OpenIndiana/illumos-gate
   latest commit   2 months ago
   Is it the one used for hipster? for oi_151a9? Something else?

I think something needs updating, either the repos, or the docs to
exclude and no longer mention the unmaintained stale resources...
It is misleading otherwise (i.e. I updated my old hg workspace and
expected to have all the recent developments in illumos-gate, while
I actually got only a year-old version of the sources).

Or am I missing something?..

On a side note, I believe the OI and Hipster releases, being open
sourced and all that, should also include their build recipes in
the repo ("illumos.sh" with the specific release-tag strings like
GATE='oi_151a7' and the compiler settings, and maybe other similar
config files), so that anyone interested can rebuild their own
binaries identical to OI's at the time of a specific distro release
(i.e. for certification or audit purposes). Is there any fundamental
objection to such an RFE? :)

Thanks,
//Jim Klimov