[oi-dev] New Hipster ISOs are available

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 16:21:46 UTC 2014

On 10/13/14 04:35 PM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> On 10/13/2014 18:25, Nikola M. wrote:
>> On 10/13/14 07:58 AM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> We are ready to announce new OpenIndiana Hipster 2014.10.10 ISOs.
>> Hi, if it can not be updated from /dev why ISOs are made then?
>>
>> You don't expect abandoning /dev and update line from Opensolaris all
>> up to Openindiana latest?
>>
>> I think if people are forced to reinstall current /dev installs from
>> scratch,  with these Hipster ISOs,
>> they would rather install other OS and migrate away..
>
> The ISOs are made for fresh installs. Yes, updates from /dev are not
> possible. What should I do? Stop any work until we can release
> something, which can be updated to /hipster from /dev?
Yes actually, that would be nice to stop and fix distribution-related
bugs first, before moving on.
Also that moment was 2 or 3 months ago or more, when update was still
possible.
And more changes are made it is less possible because not caring for update.
> I know about this problem. But I have a million of other to solve. If
> it bugs you so much, go ahead, do the work and test updates.
I still wait for your reply on idea that every Hipster update has new
'entire' version changed, so someone testing could always update to
exact date and packages state to re-create environment where bug started
to happen.

/dev needs not to live separate life, to be able to utilize Hipster changes.
Since release and government model of Hipster is incompatible with
production use.
Hipster was fun when there was expected that someone else was thinking
of making new /dev in same time. Now it is not fun anymore.
> I have several dozens installations which has never been OpenSolaris
> or OI /dev. I'd better fix more urgent issues - e.g. OO inability to
> work with ODT. Or rsyslog CVEs...
I wish you good luck with that.
Only that is not what users expressed on mailing list, following
requests for Bash bug fixes and updates of /dev is what people want to use.
They want production ready distribution and not something that is
rolling release, without actually having release, but snapshot of some
current state.
I have Hipster that was updated from 151a8 till 2014-08-24 so definitely
there was a moment when it was possible. problem is insisting on rolling
release model without benefits of it.

I have little use of just OO working if Hipster broke power standby and
flash player stopped working after 151a7 on 151a8 upgrade and sound
buttons on keyboard and god knows what else.
(I remember I had broken profile in GNOME before 2014.1 and I used ssh
-X for a month and that was not that funny. I had to kill my old profile
and bug is certainly still there. All that because OI does not support
WPA2 for wireless and you actually use FreeBSD)

I think it is most sane thing to just focus on priorities regarding
connecting /dev and /Hipster.
That includes also resurrecting working package manager GUI,
because without working update manager at least, people could not be
informed there is next /dev release.

It is not what I want so i want to push and do something,
it needs to be strategy of OI to make next /dev.
   I will see what I can do myself, that is true... ,
but without stopping first and fix obvious problems with updating /dev,
I don't know where Hipster is heading to and for what use. No one can
follow moving target called Hipster if at least at one moment it did not
get itself in line with /dev. (And make new /dev after that again).