[oi-dev] [HEADSUP] X server update in OpenIndiana Hipster

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 21:20:15 UTC 2015

On 02/27/15 09:06 PM, Warren Marts wrote:
> quoting Nikola :
> > without solution for all existing users.
>
> That's just not always possible -- I think dropping a bunch of Intel
> chipsets that are 6-10 years old and adding support for some of the
> newest ones is a good trade off.
I think it is not, if you don't have solution for current installs. and
not a stable distro built in meantime.
And one gets nothing if even new driver does not work yet..

> An Nvidia graphics card of the same vintage, say an 8400gt, is I think
> still supported by current drivers very well. Outside of the MS
> Windows sphere, Nvidia has always been the only safe choice for
> graphics. Intel and ATI/AMD have had incomplete, generally
> buggy solutions.
>
> If this topic goes on, it's best to consider what the appropriate
> platforms are given available or potential talent and time.
Intel was always open source and supported well. People using Nvidia
binary drivers are not part of the story, yet many more laptops sold in
previous 10 years have Intel grahics.

I today did 'pkg freeze' on 20141010 (latest hipster-2014.1 before
hipster-2015)
freezing consolidation/X/X-incorporation and
x11/server/xorg/driver/xorg-video-intel .

Then I managed to update fine to today's hipster-2015.

If not making packages inthe future that explicitly depend on newer (non
working) Intel driver and newer X,
then it could be solution for continued testing of Hipster-2015 if
updating from 20141010.

Alternatively, I vote for older X and intel driver to be instead inside
hipster-2015, since they actually work.