[oi-dev] [HEADSUP] X server update in OpenIndiana Hipster

Warren Marts protonwrangler at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 20:06:36 UTC 2015

quoting Nikola :
> without solution for all existing users.

That's just not always possible -- I think dropping a bunch of Intel
chipsets that are 6-10 years old and adding support for some of the newest
ones is a good trade off.

An Nvidia graphics card of the same vintage, say an 8400gt, is I think
still supported by current drivers very well. Outside of the MS Windows
sphere, Nvidia has always been the only safe choice for graphics. Intel and
ATI/AMD have had incomplete, generally buggy solutions.

If this topic goes on, it's best to consider what the appropriate platforms
are given available or potential talent and time.