[oi-dev] [CFT] libnotify update

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Thu Apr 14 07:54:51 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 03:09:28AM +0300, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> I'm going to update libnotify to 0.7.6, as it is required by Mate, Webkit2,
> Gnome 3 and who knows what else.
>
> It's ABI-incompatible update, which affects following applications from
> /hipster-2015:
> pkg:/desktop/administration/nwam-manager
> pkg:/desktop/compiz/plugin/compiz-fusion-extra
> pkg:/desktop/irc/hexchat

xchat have hardcoded (lazy) support for libnotify < 0.7.0, see
libnotify_notify_new() in src/fe-gtk/plugin-tray.c for details.  Maybe it will
work with libnotify >= 0.7.0 too, but it needs to be checked.

Who knows where else is the libnotify similarly hardcoded...

> pkg:/desktop/notification-daemon

I think it is a good idea to update the notification-daemon together with the
libnotify update.  Or, at least, plan to do it ASAP :-).

Is there a changeset available with the libnotify update (including the
applications touches to update them for new libnotify and to recompile them)?

BTW, when I worked on hexchat update to 2.12.0 I thought for a while to update
libnotify too (stock hexchat 2.12.0 requires libnotify >= 0.7.0), but then I
decided it is far easier to add support for older libnotify versions to
hexchat, than to deal with the libnotify update and possible incompatibilities.

So thank you for doing this non-trivial work.

| Marcel Telka   e-mail:   marcel at telka.sk  |
|                homepage: http://telka.sk/ |
|                jabber:   marcel at jabber.sk |