[oi-dev] OI User documentation

Damian Wojsław damian at wojslaw.pl
Thu Jan 7 10:04:35 UTC 2016

On 26.12.2015 10:43, Nikola M wrote:
> On 12/26/15 10:14 AM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
>>
>> I think it's a good idea, but I'd avoid moderation step. We had
>> http://planet.opensolaris.org/,
>> http://planet.illumos.org/, http://blog.illumos.org/
>> (all seems to be dead now). I assume having similar blog aggregator
>> planet.oi.org would be good.
>> Now http://planet.openindiana.org/ shows apache stub page...
>
> It would be a mess without moderation.
> If multiple people are able to let article pass, that is also OK, but
> it needs human intervention for ever one, because that is going on
> OI's web page and needs to be read by human (with possible suggestions
> to author to be able to go to the OI).
>
> As you found out there is https://www.illumos.org/blog/ and it seems
> doing valuable thing right now.
>
> Having Blog aggregator on OI is great idea! Only must be moderated to
> be serious.
> People, start your own blogs to be aggregated on OI :)

I have enough time on my hands to do planet moderation, if that came to be.
As found out by someone else, https://www.illumos.org/blog/ is now
mostly a home to illumos watch, which I put together in my spare time.

On the topic of re-using old OpenSolaris docs, I wouldn't mind, for one,
to build on ZFS Administrator Guide. While differences are many, most of
text would still be useful. Writing such a guide from start is a tedious
task. I know, having started http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/ZFS some
time ago.

Also OpenSolaris resource management and containers guide is probably a
perfect starting point to build a more recent docs. Zones and resource
management are one of prime time features of illumos, IMHO.

Damian