[oi-dev] intel driver and old video chipsets

Jean-Pierre André jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Sat Nov 5 15:55:02 UTC 2016

Aurélien Larcher wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Jean-Pierre André
> <jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr <mailto:jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr>> wrote:
>
>     Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
>
>         Hello.
>
>         It's a known issue that current intel drm driver in OI fails to work
>         with old Intel video adapters, like Intel g945 and similar.
>         Do we have a list of such devices and their pci ids?
>         Can we remove corresponding pci ids from
>         https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/blob/oi/hipster/components/openindiana/drm/drm.p5m#L31
>         <https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/blob/oi/hipster/components/openindiana/drm/drm.p5m#L31>
>         ?
>

>     The new intel driver accepts my graphics adapter shown as
>     8086:116 so this one should be kept in the list.
>

> This PCI id corresponds to Sandy Bridge and was not removed: all gen 6/7
> were kept.
>
> Do you have any sporadic GPU hang to report?

During a fresh install from live USB, bad horizontal
lines showed and disappeared, but I did not notice
any during normal operation.

> You can run glxgears in non-synchronized mode to check it:
>
> $ vblank_mode=0 glxgears

It showed normally (at 2000fps, not bad, though 3000 on
Linux), but it sometimes halted for a second or two.
Maybe this is related to some unrelated task starting.

> Could you add a comment in the following table?
>
> https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Intel+KMS+driver

Sorry, too high a hurdle for a sporadic usage...

Computer : HP Notebook envy 4
Graphics : Intel (id 8086:116.103c.1894)
Comment : Hipster 10-2016 "vanilla install" works
at 1366x768 resolution (glxgears at 2000fps).

>     With the vesa driver, Fn+F2 / Fn+F3 showed an on-screen
>     brightness control (with no effect on actual brightness),
>     but with the intel driver I do not get this control, so I
>     think there were inappropriate hooks with vesa and the hooks
>     are missing with Intel.
>

> FIY, when it comes to my Thinkpads hot keys are managed in Linux by
> evdev and are otherwise totally ignored since OI does not support it
> (for instance you can check with xev) so xmodmap would not even help.
>
> xf86-video-intel provides a backlight tool but I have not used it.

There is indeed an xf86-video-backlight-helper, probably
meant to be called from the desktop environment GUI, but
I do not know how I can start it.

For now I am just using "xrandr --brightness", which just
reduces the color space, not exactly what I want.

And an annoying thing which I did not have with the vesa
driver : something is hijacking the "Shift+F5" key. I was
customary with this with Nvidia drivers, but not on this
computer (nor virtual ones). What is the hijacker and how
can I get rid of it ?

Jean-Pierre