[oi-dev] Wiki comments

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 19:00:54 UTC 2017

On 02/25/17 06:25 PM, Aurélien Larcher wrote:

>         Most discussions are outdated, either irrelevant or incorrect.
>
>     That does not make them invaluable.
>

> If nobody cares to reuse them then they are de facto deprecated.

I just said I care to reuse them and history of people's activity is not
the code to be depricated.

> A newcomer may not be able to distinguish what is outdated and what is
> not: keeping information that is inconsistent is dangerous.

That is not the reason to delete history and as said I woudl like to
save them.

Keeping people's contributions is more then important to show that
distribution is alive for a longer time.
Only thing dangerous is not using a head to think and people are more
then capable to distingush between comments and articles actually.

>         Discussions happen on IRC or the ML, no need for duplicates.
>         We could argue about the lack of forums but in any case the
>         Wiki is not one.
>

>     Deleting them just like that without saving and a plan to
>     incorporate them in other ways would be a blow to their freedom to
>     post them in a first place.
>

> If nobody stepped up, in the past three years that we have been
> talking about it, to process them then it means that nobody cared
> enough to devise such plan.

You are wrong and you can't judge just like that,
I just said I have a plan to reuse them and not let them be deleted.
that sounds like stepping up and caring already.

If you choose to just ignore what I said, whatever, just point is don't
destroy people's comments. Just not yet.

>     I have an idea of integrating them (and on-site comments) into
>     newly made mailing list integration with forum-like representation
>     of it. So I would need them all.
>

> Then let us back them up.
Please do not destroy comments for now.
You expressed idea for deleting them, I thank you for your deleting ide
but let them be here for now to be able to manage them more easily in
the process I described.

>     Bare in mind that any way people contact and are active, is a good
>     way and shutting down means of communication is not positive by
>     any means.
>

> Better do one thing right than several wrong.

Deleting content is always wrong.

>     Besides, if you take a look at public forums, they also include
>     all previous old messages, and no one asks just like that, to
>     remove them and why should?
>

> Because a wiki is not a forum and enabling this feature was a mistake
> in the first place.

I agree, yet same as comments on site that is the path people take to
leave some trace of their interest and existance.
Tens of times, comments were going to the right direction and ended up
changing wiki article in a positive manner.

So not only they represent traces of time of people's interest and
willingnes of contribution,
we need to have a valid replacements, links, and alternate system for
leaving comments and to think about that.
Deleting, removing and revoking functionality is just too much aggresive
at the moment,
taking into account I politely asking you not to.

>     OI also had much more mailing lists in the past but someone
>     unonimously shut them down, like:
>

> They are useless when the number of mailing-lists exceeds the number
> of users.

That is your idea, they are not useless at all.
They are there to provide organizing infrastructure and having
infrastructure is prerequisite of organizing, like you have a web site
first and have a content on it afterwards.

>     Power to destroy is ,someone say,  power over something, but power
>     of reusing and creation is much bigger power, so no to 'just
>     deleting' people's comments at the present time...
>

> I agree with this but if nobody reuses them and the situation leads to
> inconsistency I'd rather get consistency over quantity.

Ok, as said, not to be removed at present time nor commenting disabled,
because there could be people still wanting to comment and discuss,
there comes the time to reuse them and integrate discussions into new
platform,
since we still not have new platform with mailing list integrations,.
removing peope's ability to comment and comments itself foes against
freedom of expression, history of communication and ability to comment.