[oi-dev] What's wrong with Pale Moon?

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Sat Jan 9 12:19:09 UTC 2021

Hung Nguyen Gia via oi-dev writes:
> Our Firefox is way too outdated. Pale Moon is the only browser working well on OI. I came across a page on their site but can't find it again, it basically stated that the packaging of Pale Moon on OI was resisted by OI developers. So what's wrong with Pale Moon?
>
> I know their branding issue. But we could easily overcome it by not build with their official branding, our browser will be named New Moon and everything is fine. Please let me know more about your decision. Thanks.

There was a long discussion on this mailing list in December 2019.
Please check the list archives for details.

Basically, the Pale Moon developers insist that one use private copies
of a large number of libraries.  If the system version of these libs are
used instead, the Pale Moon devs consider that a license violation.

Also, they came across as arrogant and high-handed, which was not well-
received in the OI community.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt        Consulting and Support for Solaris-based Systems
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"