[oi-dev] texlive package

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Thu Jan 28 11:25:07 UTC 2021

----- Op 27 jan 2021 om 19:13 schreef Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de:

>> Would it be possible for someone who has the necessary permissions,
>> to open a project on github oi-userland called TeX ?
> Done.
> Now you have to fill it with (tex)life :D

I'll submit a PR (pull request) on github for the install-tl script.

Perhaps on Github it is possible to create Github "workflows" or Github 'actions',
within the TeX project, to organize the Github TeX project.

The idea is that with their package manager (TLMGR) you can update and install texlive.

So basically with something like:

   pkg install install-texlive

you use IPS to install a package that can install the texlive (via the network).

You can then select either a full scheme, which requires 7 GB

     40 collections out of 41, disk space required: 7117 MB

or you can install a basic scheme

 a [ ] full scheme (everything)
 b [ ] medium scheme (small + more packages and languages)
 c [ ] small scheme (basic + xetex, metapost, a few languages)
 d [X] basic scheme (plain and latex)
 e [ ] minimal scheme (plain only)
 f [ ] ConTeXt scheme

The difficulty will be to then later see how IPS interoperates with TLMGR.

Basically you have 2 package managers : IPS and TL (texlive).

But since TeX with TUG and CTAN are very big communities, they claim to have / host 5000+ packages,
an approach which uses the TLMGR package manager may be the good approach,
so that you do not duplicate all of the TUG/CTAN packages in the OI repository.

The reason is that the TLMGR will then later support both advanced users and basic users (like myself).

Also I like the fact that the support of the texlive installation,
is then done by the TLMGR team, not by the OpenIndiana team.

David Stes