[oi-dev] PR #184: Support for epub and pandoc version problems

benn benny.lyons at gmx.net
Thu Jun 3 05:55:46 UTC 2021

Hi,
On Wed, 2021-06-02 at 16:48 -0500, Tim Mooney via oi-dev wrote:
> In regard to: [oi-dev] PR #184: Support for epub and pandoc version...:
>
> > We do not have a pandoc package for OI
> > which would ease the problem.  However, pandoc is big and it might not be trivial
> > create such a package for OI.
>
> Size isn't going to be the most difficult issue here.
By 'size' I was referring to the numerous components and effort. Moreover, I think
a package for Haskell (and many other components) would be more important than pandoc
itself.

> It appears that pandoc is written in Haskell and uses a Haskell-specific
> (?) build system.  AFAICT, OI doesn't currently have a Haskell package.
>
> My experience with Haskell ends at the meme level.  Speaking only for
> myself, while it is possible to build and package a language interpreter
> (or compiler) for a language I do not speak or use, it always makes the
> packaging process much more difficult.
I recall that it was a pain to get it on Debian.

> Do you use Haskell for other projects?  Even having someone that can
> reliably test an experimental package and offer feedback increases the
> likelihood of getting the package into a usable state.
I'm afraid that I do not use Haskell and I would not have enough experience to
install the Haskell Platform.

> Tim

Sorry
Benny