[oi-dev] OI no longer automounts USB sticks

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Mon Jun 28 16:53:33 UTC 2021

----- Op 27 jun 2021 om 15:27 schreef gary mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm:

> I use it periodically to transfer files from my main Unix system to
> another system that runs Windows 10.  I know there are alternatives to
> USB sticks, but they are convenient.  USB automount is useful to me.

It's good that you reported the issue and of course USB automount is useful.

Andreas Wacknitz also confirmed this, and is trying to help as much as possible.

Perhaps restarting 'hal' is a workaround.

If I insert a USB mouse or USB storage device, and give hal a kick:

root at wapper:~# svcadm restart hal

then eject -l lists the usb storage

root at wapper:~# eject -l
/dev/dsk/c4t1d0s2    cdrom,cdrom0,cd,cd0,sr,sr0
/dev/dsk/c5t0d0p0:1  rmdisk,rmdisk0,USBSLACK

I agree that it shouldn't be necessary to restart hal,
but this could be a workaround.

I use an old PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse on my system,
as the Dell Precision still has PS/2 connectors
(in addition to the USB 3.2 ports),so I'm not affected by USB keyboard,
but obviously all modern mice and keyboards are USB, and restarting hal maybe helps.

Theoretically the SMF dependents are

root at wapper:~# svcs -D hal
STATE          STIME    FMRI
disabled       18:19:30 svc:/network/device-discovery/printers:snmp
disabled       18:19:31 svc:/system/filesystem/rmvolmgr:default
online         18:28:36 svc:/application/graphical-login/lightdm:default

root at wapper:~# svcs -d hal
STATE          STIME    FMRI
online         18:19:34 svc:/system/device/local:default
online         18:19:35 svc:/system/filesystem/minimal:default
online         18:19:37 svc:/system/sysevent:default
online         18:19:37 svc:/system/dbus:default
online         18:19:44 svc:/system/keymap:default

Looking at the above I also note that I wasn't running rmvolmgr for some reason!

root at wapper:~# svcadm enable rmvolmgr

and voilà:

/media/USBSLACK on /dev/dsk/c5t0d0p0:1 read/write/nosetuid/nodevices/hidden/nofoldcase/clamptime/noatime/timezone=-3600/dev=2ec1090 on Mon Jun 28 18:48:24 2021

Pardon my French (I'm Flemish) but automount is working for me !

If I remove the USBSLACK key it is unmounted.

If I insert it again, it is not mounted, but

root at wapper:~# svcadm restart hal
root at wapper:~# svcadm restart rmvolmgr

is doing the trick of automount.

So this could provide a temporary work-around.

David Stes