[oi-dev] VLC maintainer ?

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Mon May 2 12:03:06 UTC 2022

On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 2:54 PM Andreas Wacknitz <A.Wacknitz at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 01.05.22 um 14:42 schrieb stes at PANDORA.BE:
> > I'm a user of the VLC media player on OpenIndiana;
> >
> > I've noticed that the videolan.org website lists 3.0.17.4 as the latest
> version, while OpenIndiana delivers 3.0.16.
> >
> > Assuming that there is currently no OI maintainer for VLC, I'm creating
> a PR (pull request) to update to 3.0.17.4,
> > although obviously if the current VLC maintainer would like to continue
> work on this package,
> > that is not a problem of course.
> >
> > Regards,
> > David Stes

> Everybody is free (and welcomed) to create PR's for every package in
> oi-userland.
> You should at least test it in your environment and write about how you
> tested it in the PR's.
> You should also check whether other packages are effected by an upgrade
> and provide one or more helper PR's with rebuilds if needed.
> Note that we cannot have upgrades and rebuilds of effected packages in
> the same PR because that's how our build server works.
> An update is not available before the build and deployment succeeded.
> Thus, we need separate PR's for the upgrade of one package and a second
> PR for its dependent packages.

Historically most multimedia apps were contributed by Alexander and me but
this does not mean that we own the packages :)

Feel free to update VLC and do not hesitate to ask for input and
clarification.
As I commented there is a problem with capabilities detection in VLC: the
bottomline is that if the video plays fine with ffmpeg and stutters in VLC
then it is a VLC bug.

Kind regards,

Aurélien

> Andreas