[OpenIndiana-discuss] I figured this deserved a separate thread

Kevin J. Woolley kjw at javabunny.net
Sat Nov 6 03:55:05 UTC 2010

On Friday, 5 November, 2010 20:46, "Allan E. Registos" <allan.registos at smpc.steniel.com.ph> said:

> The reason is peripheral support. For packages, they have backport repos
> if you want to install the latest apps w/o breaking the core. If you compile
> packages from obscure sources, of course there is dependency hell.
> Some ISV who have GNU/Linux packages on their software portfolio will often
> support Ubuntu along with
> RHEL than other GNU/Linux distros.
> ... Now sorry if this qualify a troll :-)

It's absolutely not a troll -- it's good food for thought.  When OI has a stable (as opposed to dev) version released it would be good to have something along those lines.  I don't know how pkg would handle that for sure (still figuring out the steps beyond installs, uninstalls, and image updates), but a guess would be just another publisher with the backported software, which shouldn't be too hard.

Cheers,

kjw