[OpenIndiana-discuss] [b 147] Consensus on how to set up static IP

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Nov 9 01:13:57 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, November 09, 2010 07:16 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Can anyone point me to, or supply a brief step thru describing a known
> to work method for setting up a static IP address.
>
> One with complete steps that are current, as it appears from googling
> around that there are several ways described and not all work on newer
> opensolaris like b 134.

???

> Does that also apply to oi?

I'd say

> Do we have a standard way to do this now?

I don't know about standard but for static ips, I use the 'old way' and
not nwam. Which is stuff ip-address into /etc/hostname.interface0,
svcadm disable network:nwam; svcadm enable network:physical and edit
/etc/resolv.conf and check for dns in /etc/nsswitch.conf for hosts.

netmasks and persistent routes are left for you to find out about.