[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 Express available

Frank Middleton f.middleton at apogeect.com
Tue Nov 16 21:01:58 UTC 2010

On 11/16/10 13:15, Alex Viskovatoff wrote:

> What we need to concentrate on is finding new contributors to the
> OpenIndiana project.

One wonders how large the pool of SPARC users is and, once Illumos
compiles for SPARC, how many of them might be willing and/or able
to contribute to OI (as opposed to helping to get Illumos to compile)?

If a SPARC user updates snv134 to Solaris 11 Express, how hard
will it be to subsequently migrate to OI when Illumos finally gets
built for SPARC? I suppose the scenario is that there won't be much
of OI ready to go at that point, so one would end up with an unholy
mixture of Solaris Express and Illumos somehow, ready for a small
army :-) of SPARC users to start building SPARC versions of  OI pkgs.

Would it be best to keep an snv134 snapshot around to update to
OI when the time comes since snv134 might be the only common
branching point?

Thanks -- Frank