[OpenIndiana-discuss] livecd zpool import -fR /a xpool but no files

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Nov 30 03:33:05 UTC 2010

Frank Middleton <f.middleton at apogeect.com> writes:

> On 11/29/10 10:48, Calum Mackay wrote:
>> On 29/11/10 15:34, Frank Middleton wrote:
>>> Just a guess, but shouldn't the mountpoint first be set back to "/"
>>>
>>> zfs umount newrpool/ROOT/openindiana
>>> zfs set mountpoint=/ newrpool/ROOT/openindiana
>>> zpool export newrpool
>>
>> I did not find that to be necessary in my own tests...
>
> Yes, I guess the bootfs property overrides it, and it's incorrect, anyway:
> zfs set mountpoint=legacy
> but as you say it doesn't seem to make any difference. As a result I
> wonder why importing a bootable root pool doesn't mount its root
> automatically. Are there any use cases where the current behavior
> is useful? A recursive option like import -r might be handy...
>
>> Also, note the above would likely render the system unbootable, as it
>> would leave the pool named as newrpool (as per previous emails).
>
> Unless it started out life as newrpool :-).
>
> That is undoubtedly why the OP had the problem...

hehe... no, that wasn't it.  Being OP, I can say that when I first
booted from livecd... I ran zpool import but saw something called
xpool.

I think I may have meddled around a bit before running that.   Can't
recall for sure now, but it seems mighty suspicious that the
information I was working from on my first attempt mentions xpool in
it.

I'd say its a good bet I blundered around with zpool and managed to
rename rpool to xpool in a frenzy of ill-informed flailing.

Also the instructions I was working from was not about recuing rpool
but other zpools so I imagine the author use xpool as a generic name.

I did not exercise the normal cautions since the OS being rescued was
a newly installed vbox oi that I had not done much with yet so no
great loss was threatened.

If I emerge from this experiment with enough info to do a
rescue... I'm a happy camper, even if I did go ahead and just
reinstall from livecd rather than keep mucking around, I think I could
do a rescue now if need be.