[OpenIndiana-discuss] Kernel panic after upgrading to OpenIndiana

Chris Mosetick cmosetick at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 10:30:15 UTC 2010

Sorry you are having trouble.  Just a couple probing questions to open up
everyones mind.  Before I forget, make sure you have burned a OS b134 live
cd and a OI b147 live dvd before you do anything.

The first thing I would try is booting into your b134 BE.  Then export all
the pools besides rpool.

zpool export tank
zpool export dataen

Then try the OI b147 boot environment again.  Does it boot now??

If boot = yes, try:

zpool import  (you have to run this first)
zpool import tank
zpool import daten
Do you get a kernel panic upon one of the imports??  <<there is your problem

Or another kernel panic upon OI b147 boot with data pools exported?  Maybe
the rpool version is too old for OI b147 to work with??

The next thing I would try:

I would leave the data pools exported until you get everything sorted out
with the boot issues.

Boot into your b134 boot environment.  Run:  zpool get version rpool and zfs
get version rpool/ROOT

It's possible that you might need to update your rpool to a certain pool
version in order to boot OI properly.  I imagine that you have been running
this machine for a while, and probably did not start out with b134.  FWIW,
all of the (mostly test) machines that I have upgraded from OS b134 running
zpool version 22 zfs version 4 to OI b147 have all booted up fine the first
time after the operating system upgrade.

If you are running a really old pool version on your rpool, say 14 or
something like that, you might try booting into your b134 boot environment
and upgrading it to the highest pool version b134 can use, pool version 22,
zfs version 4.

zpool upgrade -V 22 rpool
zfs upgrade -V 4 rpool/ROOT
zfs upgrade -V 4 rpool/opensolaris
basically anything in the rpool

Running the commands above will make boot environments before 134 obsolete,
so a warning is in order.  Seeing as that you are trying to move forward,
rather than keep compatibility with older BE's it's worth a shot to make
sure your rpool is running something that OI can see.

-Chris