[OpenIndiana-discuss] X11 Forwarding.. Can't Open Display

Kimmo Jaskari kimmo.jaskari at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 13:52:48 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 19:35, Kimmo Jaskari <kimmo.jaskari at gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently, I can make X forwarding work from the global zone, but not
> a non-global zone... even after installing xauth in that zone (on my
> previous tries in the previous OS install, it was already there.) The
> closest I've gotten is to have packagemanager just exit quietly (xming
> + putty and a trial version of SecureCRT).

Just thought I'd post a brief update to this in case anyone has ideas;
after installing and compiling Transmission, I found that the
transmission-gtk binary runs fine and works in X using Xming tunneled
through ssh.

packagemanager, however, just starts and then immediately exits
quietly, no output from it that I can detect. This is in a zone, I
should add. In the global zone, it runs.

Fortunately getting it to run isn't necessary since I usually work in
a shell on this machine, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to
browse the packages graphically in a zone too, so if anyone has ideas
I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

--
-{ Kimmo Jaskari }--{ kimmo.jaskari at gmail.com }--

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go
away." -- Philip K. Dick