[OpenIndiana-discuss] Which compiler?

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 13:21:49 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 10:54 AM, jan van bijnen <jekvb at gmx.com> wrote:
> As a new user I am confused about which compiler to use.
[...]
>  On the same page I read the note
>  "Sun Studio 12.2 is available but has not been tested so please do not use at this time."
>  but... how old is this remark..?
>  Are there in the meantime enough tests done with Sun Studio 12.2?
>
>  How are most of you compiling your software?

If you are compiling your own stuff, I'd say there is no problem using
ss12.2 or even 12.3beta. I use SS12 because it is a fast compiler (it
has a good ide based on netbeans 7 already setup and proper symlinks
in /usr/bin after an install through the .sh script). It also
generates faster code for me, almost 2x faster average (ymmv,
depending on what you write or compile). Optimizer, debugger,
multithread support etc, it is just very nice.

Now, if you are compiling illumos itself... I'll leave that to
somebody else as to what works well, but i'd probably stick with
12.1...

Francois