[OpenIndiana-discuss] Qemu-kvm as a service?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 14 04:50:05 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 02:20:51PM +1000, Matt Connolly wrote:

> One thing I haven't figure out how to do though, is get the service
> to restart the machine if it shuts down. Whenever the VM shuts down,
> it appears as if the service has failed, and it goes into a
> maintenance state. `svcadm clear X` gets it started again.

This configuration should all be described in the man pages.  For
example, svc.startd(1M) says:

  SERVICE FAILURE
     svc.startd assumes that a method has failed if it returns  a
     non-zero  exit  code  or  if  fails  to  complete before the
     timeout  specified  expires.  If   $SMF_EXIT_ERR_CONFIG   or
     $SMF_EXIT_ERR_FATAL   is  returned,  svc.startd  immediately
     places the service in the maintenance state. For  all  other
     failures,  svc.startd  places  the  service  in  the offline
     state. If a service is  offline  and  its  dependencies  are
     satisfied,  svc.startd tries again to start the service (see
     smf(5)).

Restarting the service is the default action.  Take a look at the
log for the service to see what the method has returned.