[OpenIndiana-discuss] Network (RTL8111/8168) not working properly on OpenIndiana 151a

Marc Williams marc_sol at digisensei.info
Sat Dec 31 01:44:46 UTC 2011

On 12/29/11 09:17 PM, Robin Axelsson wrote:
> The motherboard used is the GA-990FXA-UD7 rev 1.1 motherboard using the
> 905e Phenom II X4 CPU so no sandy bridge here. I previously used an MSI
> 790FX-GD70 motherboard, all other components are the same. When I used
> the MSI motherboard, both RTL8111DL chips worked fine with OSOL b134 and
> OI b148. When I switched to the Gigabyte motherboard with the RTL8111E
> chip the problems started to appear.
>
> You mentioned CPU and memory, if those components were defect, wouldn't
> it be reasonable to assume that there would be other problems as well
> and not just the network? I haven't discovered any stability issues or
> other problems on my system, so far.
>
> Perhaps I should run iostat and vmstat from time to time then. The fresh
> install has made some problems disappear too; for example startup and
> shutdown is now considerably faster.
>
> Robin.

I've had the same problems here recently though I don't remember having
any problems with OI b148. The system would just freeze randomly
and twice it didn't even initialize the LAN.
This is an ASROCK M3A770DE mobo with Phenom II X6 CPU.
Realtek RTL8111DL.
Thing is I had similar problems with Windows XP x64 (yeah, I know).
Any attempt at downloading would cause a freeze and at times the CPU
would go into overdrive. OI froze once during an update but luckily
it didn't cause any problems.
Oddly, no problems with Debian or Windows 7.
I eventually turned off the onboard LAN and replaced with an Intel card.

Marc