[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 148 and HP Server with SmartArray 5i controller

Edward Martinez mindbender_1 at live.com
Thu Feb 3 17:06:26 UTC 2011

On 02/03/11 07:41, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> I don't see how they could issue package repository updates that only
> installed on one type of installation - the packaging system simply
> doesn't know or care.   They can however not do the work to make updated
> packages for things like GNOME that are found on the LiveCD and not the
> text installer, but for things on both...

Hi alan

I guess i misunderstood, OI proposal, I thought the updates were only be
available   in OI "release" repo for their upcoming
"2012.02 text install"  and the liveDVD would  have it's own repo: /dev.

OI Proposal:

/dev builds will continue as normal, the next one will be Illumos based
- Desktop users can continue to use our /dev builds, and internet facing
servers can use the stable branch.
What we'd provide

The release would be aimed for February, and titled "2011.02". It would
be based
on oi_148. We would only provide the Text Installer and Automated Installer
ISOs.

We would provide security and critical bug fixes only for:

1. OS/Net (The core OS consolidation)
2. A limited set of server oriented packages that have the greatest
usage and
attack "surface area". The initial list I can think of includes:

     * OpenSSL
     * Sendmail
     * Perl 5.8.4
     * Python 2.6