[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI-dev-148 failure on V20z

Russ Price rjp_sun at fubegra.net
Sun Feb 13 03:17:46 UTC 2011

On 02/12/2011 03:36 PM, Marion Hakanson wrote:

> However, given that S11-Express 2010-11 installs from the CD drive just
> fine, and that it can also read the OI-148 CD just fine on this machine, it
> seems clear that there's something "wrong" in OI-148, not with the hardware.
>
> So, while a net-install or USB-install are workarounds, I am still looking
> for some advice on diagnosing and helping to fix this problem, so future
> revs of OpenIndiana will not have this obstacle.  I'm offering our hardware
> and a bit of my time toward solving this problem.  We've got six of these
> V20z's, and we're also feeling trapped in Oracle-land, so helping to improve
> the alternatives to the gold-plated offerings from Oracle seems like a
> worthwhile investment.

It might possibly be the optical drive itself. I have a system at home with an
Optiarc CD/DVD burner that won't install Ubuntu from a burned CD, even though
the CD checksums just fine using that very same drive. If I burn the exact same
ISO image to a DVD+R disc, the installation works fine. As it turns out, this is
a known problem with (some) Optiarc drives.