[OpenIndiana-discuss] Upgrading from 134b to 148 fails

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Thu Jan 6 18:57:58 UTC 2011

Jon,

The liveCD was on a laptop with internal keyboard and trackpad.  I tried
plugging in a USB mouse and keyboard which got me further, but then it
barfed a little later in the process.  This is why I decided to try
upgrading from the repository, but that BE wouldn't boot.  It loaded all
the drivers and then hung.

As for the v20z I don't have a keyboard/mouse issue.  Mine has been
solid, except it won't update to the latest firmware, go figure.

My process has been to put a new release on the laptop and exercise it
to make sure there are no show-stoppers.  If it looks good I upgrade the
v20z.  I do it this way so I have minimal downtime on this machine.

If I felt courageous enough, I could split the boot disk mirror and
install OI fresh on one disk so I can recover from a failed install.
Unfortunately, it will take a lot of effort to install, configure and
initialize everything from backup.  I figure it will take most of a day.

Gary

Alan,

I'll try the text install on the laptop and let you know what I find.
If I try the repository upgrade on the v20z, is there a session log that
might contain better information about the python crash?  Thanks.

Gary

Daniel,

Thanks for the information.  This v20z install is far from pristine
since it started with a UFS root disk somewhere around build 60 and was
upgraded using LU until OpenSolaris Community Edition ended.  It was
then migrated to OpenSolaris around build 111 with a ZFS root and pkg
updates until 134b.  Now I need to migrate to OpenIndiana.  The laptop
successfully upgraded to 147, but something bad happened in 148.  I
figured it was time to migrate to OpenIndiana on the v20z and I believe
it's close and fresh install will probably work, but I'm not happy about
it and if it doesn't work, then I wasted a lot of effort.

Gary