[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz jose.marcio.mc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 20:35:50 UTC 2011

Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
> Hi Gabriel,
>
> On 01/17/11 10:07 AM, Gabriel de la Cruz wrote:
>> Thanks!
>> A place to start is a place to start, and an stable server release is
>> the most urgent one among all the other options.

+1

I can imagine roughly three useful layers (call them and separate them as
you want) :

* a server layer - no desktop, just a stable set of packages to build
   a (mail | web | database | ...) server with a text console interface.
* a server desktop layer, with just the minimum window packages to
   manage servers with within an window environnement. This may be installed
   on the top of server layer.
* a desktop application layer, with all "office" applications (openoffice,
   thunderbird, ...). This may be installed on the top of previous layers.