[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Mon Jan 17 20:45:59 UTC 2011

On Jan 17, 2011, at 3:35 PM, Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz wrote:

> Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
>> Hi Gabriel,
>>
>> On 01/17/11 10:07 AM, Gabriel de la Cruz wrote:
>>> Thanks!
>>> A place to start is a place to start, and an stable server release is
>>> the most urgent one among all the other options.
>
> +1
>
> I can imagine roughly three useful layers (call them and separate them as
> you want) :
>
> * a server layer - no desktop, just a stable set of packages to build
>  a (mail | web | database | ...) server with a text console interface.
> * a server desktop layer, with just the minimum window packages to
>  manage servers with within an window environnement. This may be installed
>  on the top of server layer.
> * a desktop application layer, with all "office" applications (openoffice,
>  thunderbird, ...). This may be installed on the top of previous layers.

There will be those that want a standalone or at any rate fully
functional system with all server and workstation software.

But there will also be those that want minimized workstations,
without any server software other than maybe sshd and a minimal
local email capability (mainly for local cron jobs and such).

Some of those would even want USB storage support removed,
to prevent unauthorized data transfer via thumb drive.

A server-centric view of minimization doesn't really show
all the possibilities people might reasonably want.