[OpenIndiana-discuss] [oi-dev] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Guido Berhoerster gber at openindiana.org
Tue Jan 18 09:48:49 UTC 2011

* Gary Mills <mills at cc.umanitoba.ca> [2011-01-18 03:09]:
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 09:13:18PM +0100, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
> >
> > Adding additional packages is a different story and we are
> > currently working on the procedures and infrastructure to provide
> > an addon consolidation (see
> > http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/OpenIndiana+Addon+Consolidations)
>
> I'm very pleased to see that.  It should allow many people to
> contribute to openindiana, and do so independantly.  I'm packaging
> a product now, into both SVR4 and IPS forms, with the intent that
> it will run on Solaris 10, Solaris 11 Express, and Openindiana,
> for both SPARC and x86.
>
> One thing I don't favour is installing packages from the Extra
> consolidation into a unique directory, /usr/oie in this document.
> That doesn't prevent name collisions, but just delays them.  Once
> you add /usr/oie/bin to your PATH, duplicate names will be hidden
> anyway.  I'd prefer to install them in standard locations, and to
> eliminate duplicates explicitly.

It should be an absolute exception, avoiding collision is not
always possible, e.g. when providing newer, experimental or
differently compiled versions of packages which exist in a "core"
consolidation. SFE e.g. uses /usr/gnu for such cases.

> > That sounds great, if you want to contribute packages today, the
> > best solution would be to add tem to SFE
> > (http://pkgbuild.sourceforge.net/spec-files-extra/) since it
> > allows others to easily build your contributed package and since
> > SFE is likely to become one of our "upstream" projects where we
> > might import packages from at a later time.
>
> Is this only a repository of spec files, or is it an IPS repository
> too?  I would like to see an independant repository of IPS packages.

That is just a collection of specfiles some of which might be
imported into OIAC later. Since the OIAC effort will likely take
some time we might provide an unsupported IPS repo with some of
the SFE packages in the meantime.

--
Guido Berhoerster