[OpenIndiana-discuss] Google Summer of Code (was: Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch)

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Jan 26 15:28:23 UTC 2011

On 01/26/11 05:01 AM, Deano wrote:
> I also have no experience of GSOC but it would seem like a good thing to put
> forward. My five minute reading indicates we have until mid March to put a
> mentoring group forward, perhaps a joint OpenIndiana / Illumos mentoring
> group? we would just need some volunteer mentors and some suggested
> projects?

A joint OI/illumos application would probably be more likely to be accepted,
as Google prefers to reduce its overhead when possible by dealing with fewer
groups/projects.    X.Org always includes DRI & Mesa in our GSoC group, instead
of making those go separately, and OpenSolaris was rejected a couple years ago
because we insisted on being separate when google wanted a single
"Sun-sponsored" group for OpenSolaris, OpenSPARC & OpenOffice.   (Note that
there's usually a "RedHat-sponsored" joint Fedora/JBoss group, even though those
are clearly two very different communities.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com