[OpenIndiana-discuss] [illumos-Discuss] branding for illumos/openindiana

Jake Young jak3kaj at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 18:28:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 21:11 -0400, Jake wrote:
> > I totally agree. OpenIndiana describes the distro quite well, since it is
> the opensource bits of the Solaris Indiana release; but the reference is
> totally lost to anyone not familiar with what OpenSolaris was.
> >
> > I think a Sun reference would be fitting.
>
> Why?  The Sun has set some time ago.  There's nothing to see here now.
> Time to move along, move along.  Perhaps you're thinking that a
> reference to Sun obscure enough to avoid a lawsuit would in some way be
> attractive to business.  I think the opposite - anyone who's been around
> for a while has their Oracle horror story so why would we want to
> associate.  And by Oracle, I'm referencing the corporate entity, not
> contributing individuals who happen to be employed by same.
>

> --
> Regards-- Ken Gunderson
>
> One of the biggest appeals of OI/Illumos to me is that it is a continuation
of the legacy of Sun Solaris' high standards of engineering excellence. My
personal view of the open sourcing of Solaris 11 is that someone in Sun
wanted to make sure that the OS that had so much invested in it would have
an opportunity to continue to flourish.  Things weren't going so well for
Sun back in 2005, it was pretty clear that if the Sun hardware wasn't going
to make enough money, the OS development would be impacted severely.  The
roots of Solaris go back to the beginning of

Not that Sun was such a great company, but there were a lot of fantastic
developers there.  Anyone I talked to that knew the kernel development
teams, said something along the lines of "they're the smartest people I
know".  Sun incubated that talent and tried to make its money from hardware
sales.

There are still a lot of fantastic people that stayed on when Oracle took
over.  What is scaring everyone is what will Oracle do with Solaris in 5
years, will there even be a Solaris 12?

Maybe someday, OI/Illumos will not be seen as the fork...

I think its appropriate to honor the company that brought us this great OS!

Jake