[OpenIndiana-discuss] svccfg system-log setprop

russell stream at willows7.myzen.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 19:11:51 UTC 2011

Hi,

While looking at the wiki comments on build 150, the following comment
had been made.

"I was looking to enable OpenIndiana b148 as a syslog server and thought
that I needed to run the following command
svccfg -s svc:/system/sytem-log setprop config/log_from_remote=true

however the command would not work as there was no config, I had to edit
/etc/default/syslogd and uncomment out LOG_FROM_REMOTE=true.

It appears that the svccfg -s svc:/system/sytem-log setprop
config/log_from_remote=true functionality was intergrated into Solaris
10 U3 (11/06).

Can this functionality be incorporated into OpenIndiana? It would be
useful if OpenIndiana required the same configuration changes as Solaris
going forward where possible."

Checking the man page for syslogd, it does state the following, which
would imply that OpenIndiana man pages or  svc for system-log is incorrect.

"The recommended way to allow or disallow message logging  is
      through  the use of the service management facility (smf(5))
      property:

        svc:/system/system-log/config/log_from_remote

      This property specifies whether remote messages are  logged.
      log_from_remote=true  is  equivalent  to the -t command-line
      option and  false  is  equivalent  to  the  -T  command-line
      option. The default value for -log_from_remote is false. See
      NOTES, below."

Was this functionality integrated into OpenSolaris?