[OpenIndiana-discuss] Networking with Zones an Crossbow

Gary gdriggs at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 21:31:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011, Darko Hojnik wrote:

> Any ideas how I could deploy like this using Crossbow in Zones without a
> bridge?
>

>             network
>  <      Subnet 10.0.0.0       >
>      _     global Zone     _
>     |       10.0.0.2        |
>     |          |            |
>     |          |            |
>  Zone 1      Zone 2       Zone3
>  10.0.0.3    10.0.0.4     10.0.0.5

That won't work with a NAT setup -- you'll have to choose a different
subnet for your internal systems and route all traffic through the
global zone's IP. That may be OK if you have only a handful of
services that require inbound connections but you may want to consider
bridging. I've personally never heard of anyone objecting to (or even
noticing) when interfaces are in promiscuous mode. But if you plan on
simplifying your environment, bridging is probably the best way to go.
It also simplifies things considerably if you decide down the road to
move the local zone to another server.

-Gary