[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing on USB stick

Dave Miner dminer at opensolaris.org
Wed Mar 30 16:00:02 UTC 2011

On 03/29/11 08:43 PM, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
> In *theory* it can be done.  Go look at the OpenSolaris Caiman package.  It has a utility for that, usbgen. I've not gotten it to work, but I gave up fairly quickly as at that point I'd invested almost 3 weeks trying to find a way to clone S10 installs w/ a ZFS root.
>
> I'm highly *not* happy, but I thought I'd lick my wounds for a while before I tried again.

usbgen is used to generate the USB stick images from ISO's, which
doesn't seem to be the question here.

In general, installing to USB drives will work.  However, booting from
USB drives will usually require that they be inserted into the same USB
slot every time.  It's unclear whether that was the case here.

Dave