[OpenIndiana-discuss] Suspend and Resume

Sean O'Brien upinthecloudz at gmail.com
Sun May 15 12:40:56 UTC 2011

I'm running a PC based on a dg965wh intel motherboard that supported
suspend/resume and wake-on-lan in OpenSolaris 134. Suspend is not working in
OpenIndiana for me whatsoever.

Firstly, i get this error when I try to suspend:

May 15 05:05:25 fileserv genunix: [ID 535284 kern.notice] System is being
suspended
May 15 05:05:55 fileserv genunix: [ID 520228 kern.warning] WARNING: Suspend
cannot stop process /usr/lib/smbsrv/smbd start (ffffff026f8e00c0:1).
May 15 05:05:55 fileserv genunix: [ID 903701 kern.warning] WARNING: Process
may be waiting for network request, please try again.
May 15 05:05:57 fileserv genunix: [ID 583038 kern.notice] System has been
resumed.

This is a known bug from Solaris 11 Express that was fixed in build 156.
It's pretty easy to get around this temporarily by disabling smb.With the
SMB service disabled, the system ceases responding after the 'sys-suspend'
command is issued, even though it does not actually power down - lights,
drives, and fans are still on. Once the system has suspended as effectively
as it can in OpenIndiana, it can not be brought up by WOL magic packet, by
USB, by ps/2, or by power button. I have to reset the hardware to bring it
back online.

May 15 05:10:45 fileserv genunix: [ID 535284 kern.notice] System is being
suspended
May 15 05:16:49 fileserv genunix: [ID 540533 kern.notice] ^MSunOS Release
5.11 Version illumos-test 64-bit

I have tried adding all the entries to power.conf and to /etc/system, and
have checked with mdb that they are the current settings of the kernel. I
have also compiled a new nightly of Illumos (may 11), which AFAICT includes
a patch that supposedly resolves the issues with suspending (see bug #506 in
Illumos tracker). However, the problem persists. This is incredibly
frustrating, and fills me with regret that I upgraded my zpools after
upgrading to OI. In fact, it's frustrating enough that I am strongly
considering the process of buying newer, larger hard drives to build a pool
in an old version of zfs so that I can get my data back on something that
will work in OpenSolaris snv_134, where I can get effective power management
for my file server.

I would love to contribute to a full and proper restoration of suspend
features in OpenIndiana. If there is any more information I can provide,
please tell me what and where it needs to go. If there's nothing more I can
contribute to resolve this problem, and it's not fixed in the upcoming
release, I will most likely abandon all future endeavors with OpenIndiana,
and the publicity from people complaining about two releases with the same
basic problem left unresolved will very likely have a strong adverse impact
on the userbase as a whole.

I'm really sorry for the crabby attitude, but I am trying to get across the
point that this software must be usable in order to be used. Without either
full functionality or a reasonable way to provide feedback on the quality of
the user experience you create, your software will likely die off. It is
simply the way of the world and I really hope this community can find a way
to work with that, because it seems to offer the best future for my favorite
file server OS.

I'm running a T61p and suspend / resume is working for me.