[OpenIndiana-discuss] KVM problem

Gregory Youngblood gregory at youngblood.me
Wed Oct 5 09:43:25 UTC 2011

what does 'pfexec isainfo -v' say about your cpu?

I have a T7700 that reports
> 64-bit amd64 applications
>         vmx ssse3 cx16 sse3 sse2 sse fxsr mmx cmov amd_sysc cx8 tsc fpu
> 32-bit i386 applications
>         vmx ssse3 ahf cx16 sse3 sse2 sse fxsr mmx cmov sep cx8 tsc fpu

In my case my CPU is too old and despite the vmx flag it does not have EPT and VPID.

I could also use KVM on Linux. However, from what was discussed on IRC, the KVM implementation on OpenIndiana requires EPT and VPID to function.

I never got the iso for non-OI guests to boot, however my system didn't lock up either. The strange thing is I was able to install OI as a guest on that machine
OpenIndiana KVM Screen Captures

But never got Linux or anything else working.

According to my log, this was one of the last methods I attempted:
> qemu-kvm -m 512 -smp 2 -cdrom CentOS-6.0-x86_64-netinstall.iso -drive file=centos6.img,if=virtio,cache=writeback,index=0,boot=on -usb -usbdevice tablet -net nic,model=virtio -net user -soundhw es1370 -vga cirrus -enable-kvm

The problem is I don't know if that was a sane list of arguments or not.

Tis a pity, but at least VirtualBox has been working :)